Fireplace Services in Alexandria, Richmond, Chesapeake, VA and All Surrounding Areas
What exactly is a fireplace insert?
A fireplace insert is basically a stove that’s designed to fit directly into your existing fireplace. Unlike a stove, which is exposed on all sides, a wood fireplace insert only has a finished front side. It’s a very convenient and cost-effective way to upgrade the heating proficiency of your traditional open fireplace.
What’s great about fireplace inserts?
- They are environmentally friendly, and burn 20 times cleaner and are 15 times warmer than a traditional fireplace. This also means they require cleaning far less often and are much safer – less likelihood of chimney fires.
- Fireplace inserts are very efficient when it comes to producing heat. They use their blower systems to pump the heat out into the room, instead of letting the warmth escape up the chimney like traditional open fireplaces.
- They’re easier to install. The certified chimney technician doesn’t have to cut holes in your wall or roof for the new venting system. You can simply use the current fireplace chimney.
- Are a great way to fix an older damaged chimney or flue liner while getting a massive upgrade and little to no extra cost
Advantages of a wood fireplace insert
- A wood insert is a workhorse and is designed for use as a zone heating system that can burn non-stop all winter long. (Just remember that more burn time means you should get your chimney cleaned more often.) It uses oxygen from your house to burn the wood. After circulating the air through the hot firebox, it pumps the warmth back into the room.
- It controls the air flowing into the system and keeps it low for a slower, longer burn.
- Allows a double-burn effect, where soot and other particles from the burning wood are recirculated over the coals and burned again.
- Modern wood-burning inserts are extremely efficient (between 80-86% efficiency) and result in much lower particulate emissions, meaningless soot overall, and less cleaning.
- Easier to manage and more convenient than a normal fireplace. Have a fire going but need to step out away for a bit? With an insert, it’s no problem as the sealed door means there’s no chance of a fire accident in the room from a spark or burning log.