Few things are better than gathering the family around a warm fireplace, which includes pets. Animals enjoy the warmth of roaring fire just as much as their owners do, but it is important your fireplace is protected for your furry loved one.
Gas panels produce temperatures that can exceed 350˚ F. If your pet is unsupervised, curiosity might get the better of them, which can lead to blisters and painful burns. With a combination of proper training and basic safety barriers, you can make sure your pet can enjoy a glowing fire as much as you do.
The most effective protection for your pet is supervision. Anytime a fire is roaring, keep an eye on them. For added protection, invest in a fireplace safety gate. This gate will protect paws and tails from getting to close to the heat. Safety gates will also prevent ash debris from floating into the room causing dirty messes, which surely would follow.
Below are some additional fireplace safety tips to keep your pet safe:
– Train your pet to stay away from the fireplace and surrounding areas
– Never play in front of a lit fire
– Keep toys away from the fireplace to avoid melting or the possibility of a spark starting a fire
– Keep the damper open when using the unit to minimize the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning
– Check the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on a regular basis to ensure they are working properly
At Rooftop Chimney Sweeps, we know how important a proactive approach to fireplace safety can be. One of the best ways to defend against chimney fires is with regular chimney cleanings. Our chimney cleaning service includes a thorough inspection of the flue along with the removal of creosote and soot buildup. A safe chimney is a clean chimney for both you and your pets.
Contact us today to schedule your annual chimney cleaning and safety inspection.